This is my packing list pre-tour. Check out my “Gear talk” page to see how things survived.
On bike clothing:
- Campagnolo cycling shorts expensive but nice for my butt.
- Berghaus Long Sleeve shirt
- No name cycling gloves
- Helmet or sun hat and sunglasses($3 safety glasses instead of $50 cycling sunglasses).
- Lowa Renegade GTX hiking shoes.
- Bike packer plus rear panniers (old version)
- Ortlieb bike packer plus front panniers
- Bum bag (for passort, wallet while on bike)
- Exped Drypack pro 25 (drysack for clothing and a daysack)
The rule: All clothing has to fit into my front LH pannier (this is also my seat for lunch breaks).
- Berghaus Long Sleeve shirt
- PHD design minimus vest
- Nike ACG Lightweight fleece
- North Face Trousers with zip off legs x2
- Lightweight T-shirt
- Cotton shirt with short sleeves
- Socks x2 pairs +wearing 1 pair (all the same type so if it becomes 2.5 pairs its not a problem)
- Rab Event jacket
- Goretex packlite trousers (not sure I even need these for Africa…)
- Legwarmers for early morning starts, cold days and cold nights
- Teva’s of course, and maybe flipflops, haven’t decided yet
- X bionics cycle underwear x1 (lightweigh standby cycling shorts)
- Sloggi underwear x2
As you can see it isn’t alot, I’m travelling fairly light and will have to layer up if it gets cold, but generally the weather will be nice and warm:). And I’m still able to cut back a little more on the clothing if I dont mind smelling a little more. Still have to think about that a little.
The living room and bedroom:
LH rear pannier, the tent goes ontop my rear rack if I’m carrying alot of food.
- Msr Hubba Hubba 2 man tent (inside a waterproof stuff sack to stop everything getting wet)
- Exped Synmat 7 (a luxury bed that will hopefully last longer than the downmat did)
- Cumulus Lite line 300 (customised to 250g down)
- Inflateable Pillow (no more sore neck for me)
- Chair kit for the exped (a luxury item which usually goes with me but it may get left at home to save 800g)
LH rear pannier:
- Washbag with a hook (to hang it up in a bathroom/room or in the tent)
- Shampoo (for hair, body, clothing and pans)
- Anti persperant
- Condoms (?)
- Nails scissors
- Medicines, pills and potions
- Moisturiser (that’s how I stay looking so young)
- Zinc cream (keeps my bum baby soft)
- Ear plugs + cotton buds
- First aid kit + emergency foil blanket
- Baby wipes/ wet wipes ( for those hard to reach places you want to keep clean when theres no shower around)
- Toilet roll
- Dental floss (for flossing and hundreds of other uses)
- Needle and thread
- Lightweight Microfiber Towel
Mainly RH rear pannier:
- Optimus Nova Plus Multifuel burner
- Optimus Terra Panset without the big pan
- Titanium Spork
- Sea to summit kitchen kit (herbs/spices etc)
- Plastic plate (also for cutting stuff on)
- Opinel pocket knife (a little old fashioned, but cheap and still my favourate)
- Army tin opener
- Bottle of wine (for the flavour of course)
- MSR Dromedary watersack (2x 4L)
- Shampoo (see bathroom)
RH rear pannier:
- Crankbrothers multi tool incl spoke wrench(Customized)
- Park Tool Superpatches (handy for a quick fix but dry out after a couple of months on the tire)
- Normal patches (for a proper fix)
- Plastic tire levers (1x Large 1x normal)
- Rohloff tool
- Rohloff oil set
- Spare Rohloff rear sprocket
- Innertube x 2
- Spare tire x2 Marathon XR/Extreme (seems alot but I want to be self supporting in Africa)
- S+S tool
- Spare nuts and bolts, 1x gear cable, spare brake blocks x2 sets
- Tyewraps, hose clamps and wire (for emergency repairs)
- Crank removal tool(?)
- Spare spokes x ?
- Chain oil 50ml
- Other far too heavy crap which I hope never to use…..
Electronics and gadgets:
RH rear pannier:
- Kindle e-reader(stupid that they sell a UK model and an international)
- Laptop Acer aspire one N255
- Varta usb battery charger (also buffer to charge phone/ ipod)
- Ipod nano (new type) Loving listening to podcasts and learning languages on this thing(should of got the 16gb though).
- B&M E-Werk transformer from hub dynamo to Varta/ gps
- Garmin etrex hcx gps
- 6x rechargeable AA batteries (2x torch, 2x gps, 2x reserve/charging)+ 2x AAA for rear light.
- Fenix LD20 LED torch (has search light mode incl handwarming, or long battery life mode)
- Longwave radio (left it in Uganda, I find world service boring)
- Nokia 6500 classic mobile (without sim card, will buy locally)
- Usb mains adaptor (with 2x1000mA sockets so I can recharge ipod and batteries in 1 go)
- Camera Panasonic Lumix TZ5 with battery charger (why cant they just go usb too)
- Various wires, plugs and cables for all of the above
What about front RH pannier?
This is my reserve pannier, when I leave home I make sure its empty, this allows for food and junk that I accumulate on the road. If I don’t have too much food with me I put something from one of the other panniers here, panset for example.
Last minute addition:
Berghaus Verder 65L backpack plus walking poles for a change of pace from time to time during the trip. An extra 2.5kg than a normal canoe bag. Time will tell if this was a handy extra.
Gear for cooler/wetter continents:
- An extra fleece
- My Tatteljee winter sleeping bag
- A different tent, my favourate bad weather tents are from Hilleberg not cheap but awesome quality
- Long johns
- Thicker goretext jacket (mine is 500g heavier than my Rab jacket)
- More socks
- Proper hiking shoes (mid or high model instead of a low model)
- Winter gloves, goretex with down/synthetic filling.
- Goggles and face mask for really bad+ cold weather